Check In / Check Out
In 2020 we implemented an automated online check in procedure which we will email to returning guests the week prior to your arrival. once completed, this will allow returning guests to proceed directly to your cabin or campsite upon arrival! New guests to Sunset Bay, or returning guests who prefer not to check in online, will be required to check in at our Office, which is located at the bottom of the lane, adjacent to Cabin 8. While there, browse through our merchandise, look through our photo album of those fish that were caught last year, and pick up some information about the lake. All registered and day guests must be checked in prior to occupying a unit or visiting Sunset Bay Resort. We reserve the right to ask any unregistered guest to leave the premises.
Cabins/Cozy Cabin/Travel Trailer:
Check-in after 5pm-Note this has changed in 2020, and will remain in place until further notice, due to COVID 19 procedures.
check-in after 1pm (Sun. - Fri.)
check-in after 3pm (Sat.)
Please stop by the Office the day before you leave to settle your account and any purchases you may have put on your account during your stay, and to get that last-minute memorabilia item of your stay with us. Don't forget to leave your deposit to reserve your cabin or campsite for next year!
Cabins/Cozy Cabin/Travel Trailer:
check-out before 9am
check-out before 12pm, noon (Sun. - Fri.)
check-out before 9am (Sat.)
House On The Hill:
House on the Hill weekly rentals run from Friday to Friday due to the extensive cleaning needs of this cabin. Check-in after 5pm-Note this has changed in 2020, and will remain in place until further notice, due to COVID 19 procedures, check out is 9am Friday.
For stays of 4 nights or more, a non-refundable deposit of $250 per cabin and Cozy Cabin ($500 for cabins 7 or 8, and $900 for House on the Hill) or $100 per campsite confirms your reservation. For reservations of 3 nights or less, a one night’s rental amount confirms your reservation. Pontoon rentals require a $25/day or $100/week non-refundable deposit. Your reservation will be cancelled if your deposit is not received by its stated due date.
Please note that all deposits are non-refundable. You are responsible for the entire amount of the reservation if you cancel less than 90 days before the start of your reservation through the end of your stay, and if the cabin, campsite or pontoon is not re-rented. However, if we are able to re-rent the unit, you will be responsible only for the difference in rental income (if any) between any new rental and your rental.
Please pay the balance of your cabin or campsite reservation upon arrival at the Office. Additional charges may be made on your account during the week (ice cream bars, Resort merchandise, gas for boats, etc.) which can be paid upon departure.
All rates are subject to applicable sales tax. Rates are based on payment in cash or personal check. We gladly accept Visa and MasterCard, but payments via debit or credit card are subject to an additional 3% convenience charge.
Guests and Pets
Sunset Bay welcomes groups and large families. When a group reserves 3 or more unit-weeks, Sunset Bay Resort reserves the right to require a prepayment of the entire base amount of the reservation 90 days prior to arrival. The balance of the group reservation, including charges for additional people, pets, and sales tax, is due upon arrival at the resort.
Well behaved pets are welcome at Sunset Bay with applicable pet fees. Pets must be kept on a leash at all times and kept off resort furniture including beds. Unattended pets in any area of the resort is not allowed. Violations are subject to removal of the pet(s) from the resort, and/or damage fees. Max 2 pets per cabin/campsite. For pets add $20 per day or $100 per week per pet for cabins and our travel trailer, and $8 per day or $42 per week per pet for campsites. To insure a pleasant stay for all our guests, we insist that all waste be cleaned up immediately by the pet owner or handler and placed in the trash. Please let us know when making your reservation that you have a pet, so that we can be sure we can accommodate him/her. We do have designated areas at the north and south ends of the beach for those pets who like to swim, so please keep them away from the buoyed swimming area, the beach, and the playground. Pets must also remain leashed while swimming.
Day guests are allowed and will be charged a guest fee of $10 for each guest staying over 30 minutes. All day guests must check in at the office immediately upon entering the resort prior to parking at any cabin or campsite, and depart by sundown (guests remaining after sundown are subject to applicable extra person charges). Due to space constraints and congestion, guest vehicles may be asked to park in an assigned area.
Additional Person Charges
Rates for each cabin or campsite is stated in base rates. Each cabin/campsite states occupancy in the cabin as the following “Base rate up to X people, X max.” When you go over the base number of people for occupancy up to the stated max, an additional person charge of $30 per night or $150 per week per person for a cabin will be charged. The additional person charge for campsites and the travel trailer is $12 per night or $72 per week per person over the base number of people. In cabins 1-8 additional persons sleep on a futon that folds down to a full size bed in the living area. Occupancy over the max stated for each unit will not be allowed.
There is generally adequate parking space, and space for one boat trailer at each cabin and campsite. Cabins 7, 8 and House On The Hill allow for added parking spots due to the larger size of the cabins. We ask for the convenience and enjoyment of all that guests attempt to consolidate vehicles to as few as possible so that vehicles do not congest what is normally resort common area. We reserve the right to relocate excess guest vehicles or trailers, and any "Visitor" vehicles, to "additional parking areas" that may not be adjacent to cabins or campsites.
Other General Resort Rules
Sunset Bay Resort is for the enjoyment of all guests. While you are here relax and enjoy all the resort has to offer. Some things to keep in mind while at the resort:
- There are items that can pose a safety concern while at a resort such as Sunset Bay, fire pits, hot grills, dogs of other guests, vehicles moving along the roads, among others. The risk of injury is minimal if all guests are aware of their surroundings, and keep careful watch when moving about the resort. In addition, we ask that children be supervised so that any risk of injury to them is also minimized.
- We do not allow sleeping tents or other sleeping accommodations to be set up outside of cabins, and each cabin has a stated maximum occupancy. If you have rented a cabin, and desire to erect a tent, a campsite rental will be required. However, all rentals are based on availability, and availability is limited. Call ahead if you need to add another reservation to your existing reservation, or if you anticipate being over the maximum occupancy of a cabin to discuss alternatives with us.
- We supply a mixed recycling bin next to each cabin and ask that it be utilized for all recyclable products. We empty these recycle bins weekly, and upon request. All other trash must be immediately taken to the dumpster to discard. Doing this assists in keeping the resort clean, and discourages the local animal population from rummaging in trash bags left outside cabins. Please be respectful and keep the areas in front of and around the unit you have rented in a clean and orderly manner.
- In case of inclement weather and the need to take shelter, the two car garage at the House On The Hill is the shelter for the resort. We make every attempt to alert guests when we are aware of a significant weather event that may endanger the area. However, it is your responsibility to take shelter at any time you feel unsafe in a weather event.
One bundle (approximately 12 pieces) of firewood is provided with your weekly cabin or campsite rental. Additional bundles are available at $5 each and will be delivered directly to your fire ring.
MN Department of Natural Resources regulations state it is illegal to bring firewood into state parks, state forest campgrounds, or day-use areas unless purchased from an approved vendor. In order to protect our wooded habitats, we are also abiding by this law and prohibiting guests from bringing wood onto Sunset Bay Resort property. We appreciate your cooperation in these efforts.
We allow personal watercraft to launch from our beach as long as you check with us before launching. At all times, Minnesota rules and regulations for personal watercraft must be followed. Please also be considerate of other resort guests when using these crafts.
The following are life jacket requirements in Minnesota:
- State law requires children under 10 years old to wear a life jacket while a boat is underway.
- A readily accessible and wearable life jacket is required for each person onboard a boat, this includes canoes, kayaks, stand-up paddle boards, paddle boats, and waterfowl boats.
- One Type IV throwable is required on boats 16 feet or longer (except canoes and kayaks) and must be immediately available.
- Personal watercraft operators and passengers must each wear a life jacket.
- For your safety, we strongly recommend everyone on board a watercraft of any kind wears a life jacket at all times.
There is no lifeguard on duty. Sunset Bay Resort supplies life jackets with our boat and pontoon rentals free of charge. Life jackets hang on the exterior wall of the game room for use on resort water toys. We ask that all life jackets be returned and placed on the exterior wall when finished.
Aquatic Invasive Species
Before traveling to Minnesota every boater must:
- Clean all aquatic plants, zebra mussels, and other prohibited invasive species from boats and trailers.
- Drain water-related equipment (boat, ballast tanks, portable bait container, and motor) and drain bilge, livewell, and baitwell by removing drain plugs. Keep drain plugs out and water-draining devices open while transporting watercraft.
- Transport watercraft without the drain plug removed.
- Arrive at lake access with drain plug in place.
- Transport aquatic plants, zebra mussels, or other prohibited species, whether dead or alive.
- Launch watercraft with prohibited species attached.
- Transport water from Minnesota lakes or rivers.
- Release live bait into the water.
Window unit air conditioners are available for rent at a rate of $60 per week, or $10 per night. All rentals are based on availability.
You will be charged for the full amount of any air conditioner you have reserved as stated on your reservation unless cancelled 48 hours in advance of your arrival date. Air conditioners not reserved at least 48 hours in advance of your stay may incur an additional installation and/or set up fee.